Wednesday, June 20, 2007

AFI 100 Years...100 Movies 10th Anniversary


In 1997, the American Film Institute (AFI) released their first of numerous lists intended to celebrate 100 years of American film. This series, called 100 Years..., has been, to put it lightly, rather controversial among critics, who have cited numerous flaws in the list. However, like any good list of art should, the series has started a interesting, surprisingly prolonged debate about the American film canon and if nothing else, provided this writer with an entry point into the rather expansive history of cinema. The first list, entitled 100 Years... 100 Movies, combined with my first viewing of Mel Gibson's Braveheart sparked my interest in film and in the past 10 years, I have, for better or worse, enveloped myself in the history of film. My initial goal was to watch all 100 of the films but as time wore on, that goal fell by the wayside in favor of branching out to try and experience everything film had to offer me, not just one single list. However, with the release of the AFI's 10th anniversary list tonight, I'd be lying if I didn't honestly admit that I am excited to revisit these films having seen many of them.

Many will probably roll their eyes at this but for me, the AFI's efforts to educate and promote American cinematic history holds a special place in my heart, as if it wasn't for their initial list, I might have never been motivated to watch many of the films I now consider to be the absolutely pinnacles of the art form. As of the airing of AFI 100 Years...100 Movies 10th Anniversary, I have seen 77 of the films on the original 100 Movies listing. Of the nominated 400 films for the new list, I have seen 214. In other words, despite my concerted efforts to immerse myself in film, I have a ways to go. However, I would be willing to bet that I have seen many more of the films than a typical filmgoer. That said, here are my thoughts on what one might see in terms of changes between the two lists, 10 years apart.
-I think the top 10 will stay roughly the same. Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Gone With The Wind will all remain near the top of the list, as they have been overwhelmingly represented in other AFI lists. I would not be surprised to see Citizen Kane fall out of the top spot in favor of Casablanca or The Godfather. Not saying its going to happen, just saying its not untouchable.

-Film with the best chance of dropping out of the top 10 (unfortunately) is Singin' in the Rain. It occupies a place in my top 5-6 but given the current political climate, its happy go lucky vibe may lose some points.

-Films with the best chance of making significant moves: Chinatown, the Vietnam films (Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Deer Hunter), All Quiet on the Western Front, Noirs of 40's (Maltese Falcon, The Third Man), basically any hardened cynical films on the first list. Much like the politics of the day may end up hurting a film like Singin' In the Rain, it may end up helping some of the works that question authority and war.

-Film with the best chance of making the Top 100 that wasn't on the 1997 list: The Conversation by Francis Ford Coppola. Its obvious the AFI likes this period of Coppola (who doesn't) as this film is book ended in production dates by The Godfather I and II. It is a film that seemed designed for Patriot Act era viewing and has been critically lauded over the past decade.

-Film with best chance of dropping out of the Top 100: Yankee Doodle Dandy. The 100th film in 1997 has little to say at this given time. Its gone.

-Film that should be on the list but probably won't be: Three Kings. The best film made about modern warfare is a whip smart, timely film that deserves recognition. It won't get it.

-Film that shouldn't be on the list but might be: Crash. If Haggis' overrated sermon gets a nod and Do The Right Thing does not, I'll be devastated but given the racial undertones of Hurricane Katrina, a film that deals with the interplay of race in LA might seem enticing.

-Biggest Question: Will all/any of the LOTR films make the list? They were heralded by just about everyone as being the most monumental achievements in recent years. How high will they go?

What are your thoughts? I'll be back tomorrow with reactions. Enjoy the show!

No comments: